• Surface Area: 19,900 Acres
The Fort Gibson Dam is a gravity dam on the Grand (Neosho) River in Oklahoma, 5.4 miles north of Fort Gibson. The purpose of the dam is flood control and hydroelectric power production. It was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1941 and construction began the next year. During World War II construction was suspended and it recommenced in May 1946. In June 1949, the river was closed and the entire project was complete in September 1953 with the operation of the last of the power plant's four generators. The dam and power rights originally belonged to the Grand River Dam Authority but were seized by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1946.